background

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Do you know these terms?

So, as most of you know I work at a scrapbooking store and generally we have spring cleaning days/weeks and as we have been cleaning things up and getting things all nice and tidy I came across this little thing that had "Terms You Should Know" needless to say that totally caught my attention!

Wow, what are these words??  I get asked all the time about different things in the store, how something works, what should I do with this, can you just do this for me (lol), what does that mean, why is this better than that?? So, I started reading and thought oh wow, how great and useful is this?!?! But, before I could share this little book with the rest of the girls I took it home with me to educate the world, cause remember, I LOVE to teach people. It's not fair for one person to have all the info. Knowledge is power and with that being said, here are the TERMS:

Acid: In paper maufacturing, acid is used to break apart the wood fibers and lignin. When acid remains in the product, it will react to accelerate the deterioration of photos and other materials. (That is why you would look for Acid Free when buying your supplies)
PH Factor: The pH factor refers to the acidity of paper. The pH scale runs from 0 to 14. Acid-free products have a pH of 7-8.5. To determine the acidity in products, you can buy a pH tester pen. (a lot of scrapbooking stores or art supply stores carry them. Although, most packaging if made for scrapbooking, card making, etc will state that it is acid free. Pretty standard these days.)
Lignin: Lignin is a bonding material that holds wood fibers together. When lignin remains in paper, the paper will yellow and become brittle over a period of time. The majority of paper that is manufactured today is Lignin-free! (I always wondered what exactly Lignin was)
PVC: Polyvinylchloride, often referred to as "vinyl" by manufactureres, is not arcival safe. It can be chemically unstable and can cause deterioration. I have never been asked about this, but, hey it might be useful to someone :) 
Archival Safe: Archival Safe incorporates all items listed above. Materials, techniques, and methods used in manufacturing of archival safe items will make them last for generations without deteriorating. Which is exactly what we want!

Now what do you do if you have something that is not preservation safe??? Well, no worries, they make something for that so you can preserve your items. There are a few different brands out there all essentially are going to do the same thing. The one that I know the most about is... 

It neutralizes the acid and make them last forever :) 

So now that you know (or maybe you already knew and now feel delightfully refreshed)

And just for fun, my new glitter containers...thanks Nicole!



 Want all the details?? Check out my post today on Mon Ami Createry. I think you will love it. :)
Also come back tomorrow for some Birthday inspiration!!!

XOXO
Danni

1 comment:

  1. Archival mist, good to know, (thanks!) Added to the wish list = check!

    ReplyDelete